The museum offers self-guided tours for groups.
We require a contact for group leaders making bookings for self-guided tours.
- Please leave backpacks and large items at home. The museum has limited space and we’re unable to provide a cloakroom for bags and large items. We reserve the right to inspect visitors’ bags.
- Luggage lockers are available for a fee at Southern Cross Railway Station.
- To preserve and protect our collection, we request you don’t consume food and beverages during your visit.
If you have made a group booking and need to reschedule or cancel, or if you are coming to a booking today and are late, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 03 8335 6202.
The museum is open Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm, excluding public holidays.
Entry is free.
We accept card and cash donations. Donation monies are invested in our conservation, exhibitions and public programs work.
The museum presents insights into Victoria's social and cultural history through a unique collection of objects, displays and documents dedicated to the history of law and order, policing, and crime.
This includes content involving serious crime and violence. Content warnings are prominently displayed where necessary.
The museum also contains histories relating to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, including photographs, stories and names. Cultural sensitivity warnings are on display.
- The museum is fully accessible to visitors with wheelchairs, walking frames and prams. Assistance animals are welcome in the museum.
- There are accessible toilets at the nearby Melbourne West police station.
- The museum has some areas with lower light levels to preserve the precious collection. All efforts have been made to ensure lighting optimises visibility.
- Museum text is at standard display size.
- Magnifying sheets and LED torches are available from the front desk for people with low vision.
Visitors are welcome to take non-flash photographs of the museum exhibits.
Health and safety
The museum has a range of health and safety measures in place to ensure your visit is as safe as possible. These include:
- sneeze and cough guards installed at points of sale
- increased cleaning frequency
The museum is near a range of commuter options.
- 450 metres from Southern Cross Railway Station
- 600 metres from Flagstaff Railway Station
- Route no. 30 then the free City Circle route 35 to stop 1
- Route no. 30, no. 86 and the free City Circle route 35 to stop 119.
Tram via Spencer Street
- Route no. 86 to stop 119.
- Route no. 216 to Spencer Street near Lonsdale Street.
The area is serviced by dedicated bicycle lanes and bicycle parking is available near bus route no. 216 on Spencer Street
Car and parking options
There is paid on and off-street parking nearby.
The museum shop stocks a variety of items including:
- toy police dogs and horses
- water bottles
- and other museum merchandise.